Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Our temporary home

Well we have been at Ft Jackson for about three weeks now, and we've begun to feel that it's home.  We actually really like the post.  Even though it's winter, there's lots of pretty trees and landscape and all the building are a beautiful brick and kept up really nicely.
We had some road bumps when we got here, but I can't say we didn't expect it.  It took awhile for us to get the post decal on our car, but now we can get on post really quickly.  It also took quite a fight to get my updated military ID and get us enrolled in TriCare for this region, but that's finally figured out!
The one thing that went really smoothly was figuring out our housing.  When Micah told the lodging staff that I was with him, they moved us to a different hall than most of his classmates.  It's kind of hard to describe though.  The exterior looks like a dorm, it functions like a hotel with breakfast in the lobby and daily maid service, but feels like a miniature apartment.  It is much better than we were expecting!  I am just happy to have an alternative to sitting on the bed, a small full rather than mini fridge, and a stove top!  We don't have an oven which makes meals a little harder and means no baking, but I have to remind myself that we still have more than we expected!


Micah has been doing really well in his class and has gotten near 100% on his tests.  Needless to say, I'm really proud because the amount of information involved is pretty overwhelming. He always says that they are able to use some information, but from what I've heard about the tests I'm not convinced that is why he does well. 
He has also been really intentional about trying to spend as much time with me as he can.  I am so thankful.  My continuous goal has just been to be someone that he wants to come home to and not blast him with how bored I've been.  So I have been trying to keep busy with random things like laundry, dishes, running random errands on post figuring things out.  Not to mention a little reading, tv, working out, and recently getting our taxes figured out. 
But you know what?!  I really am so thankful to be here together.  My goal is to remind myself of the alternative to being here with Micah everytime I begin to get restless.

No comments:

Post a Comment