Thursday, August 18, 2011

Slow and steady

Well yet again it's been awhile.  The days are slow and yet overwhelming.  We've been in Italy now for about two and a half months, and yet it feels like a week. 

Since Micah started work everything has been kind of a blur.  My days are pretty slow, just filled of endless thinking, researching, planning and Gilmore Girls.  Nights and weekends are pretty much filled with Micah trying to recuperate and me trying to squeeze in time with him.  Work has been pretty overwhelming for him just trying to figure out his responsibilities.  He learned when he started that he's also linked with the commander so he's separated from the rest of his guys. They're gearing up for lots of training too, so there hasn't been much time for instruction or guidance on what to do and how to do it.  So prayer that as he continues to focus on bringing God glory through his work God would provide him with a peace and comfort.

We're still working on getting settled in the house. The car is a manual which I can't drive yet.  I've learned how before but never really drove one.  So between trying to find time and not really having anywhere to practice it's just not happening. Which has made shopping, putting together furniture, or decorating a very slow process.
Once the house is settled and I can actually drive I'll start thinking more seriously about getting a job to keep myself occupied.  Jobs are hard to come by here since it's such a small post.  My options pretty much are whether I want to be a checker at the PX or the commissary.  Which is kind of a bummer, but it's alright since I just want something to keep me busy.  I'm thinking of possibly getting some certifications in medical coding.  It would be something that I could possibly do at home later on.  It also would be something to do, and would be paid for by military spouse tuition assistance if I do it relatively soon. 

Italy is still very interesting to us, and we're still trying to adjust.  Don't get me wrong Italy is wonderful, but it's wonderful when we get to be tourists and travel around and go out.  The rest of the time it's like being in any other place going to work and going to sleep.  Except without the convenience we're used to in the states. 
The gelato definitely makes up for alot, but I think the weirdest part about being here is that going out you can only get Italian food.  Again I love Italian food, but pizza and pasta are the choices.  You can't order a pizza, or get Chinese food, or a burger, or Mexican food (real or Del Taco), or anything else.

I've really just been struggling with what God's wanting for my time while we're here. As of yet, we haven't been able to find a church and there aren't many choices.  As time goes on I'm sure that I'll become more involved in army wife life, but that comes with connections and usually deployments.  So I've been trying to focus on becoming closer to God and stepping out in obedience no matter how silly or small it may be. Prayer that my heart will be sensitive to the Holy Spirit would be much appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment