Monday, January 10, 2011

Bye-bye Christmas

So it is amazing to me how completely sad it always is after the Christmas season is over. There are months of buying gifts, crazy awesome decorations, sappy and fun music, and stories of being a kid and being joyful.  Not to mention celebrating the birth of our Savior!  Then one day passes and it reminds me of when I found out Santa Clause isn't real.
But this Christmas was even more of an emotional roller coaster because it was our first Christmas together.  We had the adventure of getting our first tree, figuring out how to keep it alive, and the fun of having it make the apartment smell amazing.  We bought decorations for the tree and apartment, which fulfilled numerous ridiculous fantasies I had when I was younger.  We bought gifts as a couple, sang carols, and for once we celebrated Christmas morning together (void of day before the wedding distractions).  All this to say that our Christmas was especially full of wonder!
So it was especially disappointing to have to end the season.  The other day we finally took down the tree and the amazing smell that still accompanied it.  I knew that it would be kind of an aw, bummer kind of moment but I really didn't anticipate the tearing up part of the evening.
It kind of hit me.  I really don't know what our next Christmas will look like.  We won't be in our first apartment near all kinds of family.  It wasn't necessarily terrifying, but the reality of the move just sort of came to life for me in that moment.
Then yesterday Micah and I were driving, singing along to the radio, and just having some good talks.  All the sudden I just got this crazy giddy feeling.  You know, the kind where you feel like a little kid going to Disneyland for the first time. Anyways, I realized that despite how terrified I am about the little unknowns of the next year, I really am looking forward to part of it.  Instead of thinking as a grown up having to be responsible and have everything figured out, I just have to look at the whole experience like a teenager just taking a long vacation.  I'm looking forward to taking a roadtrip with the hubby, of living at our first post, and ultimately going on a crazy adventure with my best friend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment