Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Coffee Shop Revelations

Just a quick thought for today.  The ways that God can kind of give you a hug are simply insane. 
There's a regular customer at the coffee shop that I work at that I've been attempting to develop a relationship with.  He's an old veteran who is basically just a grump. For some reason he has taken a liking to me, and every once in awhile will open up about his life.  
Today he was reading a book.  Apparently it was written by a priest who works to rehabilitate gang members in LA. He then explained that he could never have the patience to do something like that.  
At that moment, I saw my chance to interject with some faith talk.  I began describing the amazing joy that comes with knowing your strength isn't the only one that matters. Having faith isn't just about trying hard, it's about accepting God's power, love, strength, patience, and a whole lot of other traits when yours fails. 
It's not like I had an out of body experience or anything.  More like what I had been reminded of on Sunday(2 Corinthians 12:9), just came to life.  I daily pity this man because he is so cynical and unhappy.  Listening to him is a constant reminder of what living without the resources of God would be like.  And yet too often I focus so hard on doing my best, like figuring out all that I can about moving, that I lose focus on the amazing power that God offers to me as a resource.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you very Much for the reminder of what God went us to know. I pray you let God help you as you movie into the unknown with God. Philippians 4:13

    ReplyDelete